Author Topic: Exhaust sound? and Engine specs?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline PolishBoy

• View Profile
Exhaust sound? and Engine specs?
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »
I've been wondering since day one what does the Crosstrek would sound like if it were straight pipped or had a muffler delete? Would it still have that famous Subaru tone like most Wrx's and Sti's or would it be something new and unique? Also whats the difference between the Crosstrek's boxer engine and a Wrx's engine besides the obvious that a Wrx is turbocharged.

Offline AWDfreak

• View Profile
  • My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Re: Exhaust sound? and Engine specs?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »
The WRX has, for the longest time, used a turbocharged EJ engine, as has the WRX STI. The EJ engine has been around since 1989, it is a DINOSAUR of an engine and has been in dire need of replacement. That's why the Legacy GT is currently dead for North Americans. There are some EJ components that are interchangeable between non-turbo EJ and turbo EJ engines, but it's not a lot.

The 4th generation Impreza (on which the Subaru XV is based on) does NOT use an EJ engine, and uses the FB engine (Subaru's 3rd generation economy 4-cylinder BOXER Engine) instead.

However, the FB engine is designed more for fuel economy than performance. Unlike the EJ engine (Subaru's 2nd generation 4-cylinder BOXER Engine), almost no significant parts are interchangeable with the FA engine (Subaru's 3rd generation performance 4-cylinder BOXER Engine) found in the BRZ and 2014 Forester XT.

EA = 1st gen 4-cylinder
EJ = 2nd gen 4-cylinder
FB = 3rd gen economy 4-cylinder
FA = 3rd gen performance 4-cylinder

FB engines in use so far:
FB16 - used in markets where the Impreza and XV has a 1.6L engine standard
FB20 - standard Impreza and XV engine in North America
FB25 - MY2013+ Legacy and Outback (BM/BR chassis), MY2011+ Foresters (both SH and SJ chassis)

The North American market turbocharged Subarus have had, for the longest time, unequal length headers. Often called the "boxer rumble", it is actually mostly due to the unequal length headers, but the unusual manner of firing order aids the rumble.

From the mid-1990's onwards, all non-turbo Subaru vehicles have been sold with equal length headers. They sound more like ordinary 4-cylinder engines, but the unusual manner of the firing order still gives them a unique sound.

From the FB and FA engines onwards, it seems ALL Subaru vehicles, regardless of turbocharged or not, will now have equal length headers.

For those with the misconception that all Subaru engines sound the same, behold two videos that depict the difference in sound through equal and unequal length headers:

The FA20 in the BRZ, as most can already tell, has equal length headers. As I had anticipated, the FA20 Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) found in the 2014 Forester XT also has equal length headers. Now the equal length headers the Japanese market turbo engines have hogged since the 2000's are available worldwide from the factory, as shown with this video of a 2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
2014 Subaru Forester XT Invidia N1 Dual Exhaust
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:19:47 PM by AWDfreak »

Offline PolishBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
So basically the XV Crosstrek (which is based on the 4th gen impereza) will sound like a equal length header boxer engine, but it may lack sound due to it being a FB20 which is based on economy driving rather than the FB25. Would it be pointless to try to make some more horsepower from the XV Crosstrek since it is a economy engine? Thank You for all your help!

Offline Scoobyxv-l

• View Profile
    • Subaru XV Forum
  • My Vehicle: MY12 Subaru XV 2.0i L (White) & MY12 Subaru XV 2.0i L (Black)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:07:47 AM by Scoobyxv-l »
Jason & Tanya

Offline Scoobyxv-l

• View Profile
    • Subaru XV Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:02:52 AM »
I put on a 2 & 1/4 inch pipe with stainless steel resonator , a stainless steel oval muffler with a 4 inch tip and with my Apexi air filter it has totally changed the XV
So much quicker response better sound better mileage
A very quick green XV
It's a must have if u want a little extra power and sounding like a WRX
Jason & Tanya

Offline AWDfreak

• View Profile
  • My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:46:10 AM »
So basically the XV Crosstrek (which is based on the 4th gen impereza) will sound like a equal length header boxer engine, but it may lack sound due to it being a FB20 which is based on economy driving rather than the FB25. Would it be pointless to try to make some more horsepower from the XV Crosstrek since it is a economy engine? Thank You for all your help!

Yes, as it has equal length headers, it will sound similar to many equal length header boxer engine.

Generally, stock exhausts tend to lack sound due to consumer demand for quiet exhausts.

The FB25, like the FB20, is economy-minded. However, that does not mean it's completely pointless to upgrade for higher output numbers, it just means one will be starting off with an engine with a disadvantage towards performance from the factory.

As far as I know, the only guaranteed fitment part out of the market so far that has any chance of increasing output of your engine are some high-flow drop-in air filters. Personally, I would recommend a dry filter, as an oiled filter can cause sensors in the intake to get dirty and trigger a Check Engine light. Using a high-end synthetic motor oil yields a barely-noticeable increase in output.

Everything else, including but not limited to exhaust, intake and exhaust ports, engine management, etc has to be custom done for any more output as far as I know.

Here are the following dry drop-in filters that should work for the FB20:
AEM DryFlow Air Filter P/N 28-20304
Apexi Panel Filter P/N 503-F101
Blitz SUS Panel Air Filter SF-48B P/N 59542
Prova Sport Intake Air Filter P/N 52000SP0011
Perrin Panel Filter P/N PSP-INT-110
Cosworth High Flow Synthetic Air Filter P/N 20002278 (my personal favorite, which I want to get)

Offline PolishBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:41:55 PM »
Wow that sounds absolutely AMAZING ;D I did not expect that at all it really brings out the aggressiveness of the car. Thank You guys soo much for the input and help. I get more and more excited each day for that day to come to put those keys into my hands. Time to get some overtime at work so i can keep getting closer to that day haha

Offline Squenz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »

I put on a 2 & 1/4 inch pipe with stainless steel resonator , a stainless steel oval muffler with a 4 inch tip and with my Apexi air filter it has totally changed the XV
A very quick green XV
How does it sound at highway speeds? I'm looking for something to add a little growl, horsepower, and fuel economy but I want it to be quiet at cruising speed.
Thanks!

Offline Scoobyxv-l

• View Profile
    • Subaru XV Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:44 AM »

A very quick green XV
How does it sound at highway speeds? I'm looking for something to add a little growl, horsepower, and fuel economy but I want it to be quiet at cruising speed.
Thanks!

Wow cruising noise is nice when not pushing it , it sounds subtle , then you jump on the throttle all hell breaks through
At 110km it sounds so mean makes u think u. Have a STi
It's amazing when climbing a hill when u have a boundary wall next to you
Jason & Tanya

Offline Squenz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »
They sound really nice. The white one sounded a little quieter, no? Same exhaust system on both?
So when you're cruising at 110 km/hr, the sound is audible but mellow?

Thanks for your information. I'm trying to plan exactly what I want before I start cutting and welding!

Offline Scoobyxv-l

• View Profile
    • Subaru XV Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
There exactly the same setup but different tip
I think they sound the same
Probably iPad recorded the sound different but in person they sound the same
Yep cruising speed it sounds nice subtle but can hear a nice burble
When foot to the floor wow WRX STi sound
Jason & Tanya